Friday, May 8, 2015

Gender Neutral Nursery

Last year, Husband and I went through Natural Cycle IVF treatments and after our first try, we found out we were expecting!  We immediately knew we did not want to know the gender of our baby.  It was truly a miracle to even be pregnant and since that wasn't a surprise... we thought, why not have the gender be a surprise?

Only problem was... HOW DO I DECORATE THE NURSERY? Do we go pastels or green or yellow???

We contemplated repainting the room but it was already painted a Charcoal Grey.  I really liked the grey and wanted a room that went with the rest of the house.  So we kept it and since we also have dark flooring, I knew we would have to introduce color in other ways and on a budget. 




Please excuse the bad lighting in these pictures...


As a first time mommy, I was nervous about hanging anything on the wall above the crib that can potentially fall. So I found this stencil by Cutting Edge Stencils and decided to use it three times in various heights.  I just love the way it fills the wall! 



To save space, we decided to use the dresser as our changing table as well.  The wood plank sign was an unexpected find from Hobby Lobby.  As soon as I saw it, I just had to have it.  The beautiful branches were my centerpieces from my beautiful baby shower. 


As you can see, with the walls being grey, dark furniture and flooring... I needed to add color.  I looked for a teal shelf and had a hard time finding one within our budget.  I checked out one my favorite stores Target.com and boom... there was my shelf!


The nursery is a decent size but to help make it feel even bigger, Husband and I decided to take away the closet doors.  It provided us a way to bring in more color!  The closet organization kit was from Home Depot and was very easy to put together (I wish I had pictures of Husband installing it).  In case the closet gets messy (which it already has)...  we needed a way to hide the mess.  I found these perfect bird curtains at Ikea. 



Every room needs a chair and ottoman right? Rather than a rocker, we opted for a simple chair and ottoman.  (Chair is from Ikea and Pouf Ottoman is from Target.


Last but not least, our soft shag rug was another unexpected find at Costco.  It was one of those, if you don't get it then you may not get it again. 

Well, I hope you've enjoyed the tour of our gender neutral nursery! 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment